We love to use premium natural ingredients and we especially love Kakadu Plum as it’s a home grown Australian native superfood. A favourite of Australian Indigenous communities, it’s been traditionally used as food and for its medicinal and unique healing properties. Also known as Billygoat Plum, Murunga or Gubinge, it’s quickly gaining popularity as a key ingredient in natural supplements, foods as well as skincare products.
Packed full of Vitamin C, Kakadu Plum contains over 3000mg per 100g and boasts the highest Vitamin C content of any fruit! It also contains beneficial ingredients like folic acid, Vitamin E and carotenoids so it’s easy to see why this Australian favourite is nourishing for both your insides and your skin too! Along with Vitamin C, Kakadu Plum is overall highly nutritious being rich in fibre, vitamins and minerals including copper and iron.
Health Benefits of Kakadu Plum
Anti-aging and Collagen Production
Not only is Vitamin C great for our immune systems, but it’s also amazing for our skin. Vitamin C helps to stimulate collagen synthesis, which is a vital building block for our skin. As we age, our collagen levels naturally decline, resulting in fine lines, wrinkles and poor skin elasticity. Kakadu Plum also has natural anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, shown to help fight acne, which is another reason why they’re becoming a popular ingredient in skincare.
While skin can be improved externally through topical products, we believe that good health starts from the inside – which is why we wanted to add Kakadu Plum to our formulas!
By helping to boost natural collagen production internally we can help our skin to repair and restore itself, resulting in reduced dark circles and puffiness, leading to plumper and more youthful looking skin.
Immune System Boosting and Promoting General Wellbeing
Kakadu Plum is great for our immune systems and can support us in fending off colds and flus. The compounds found in Kakadu Plum help to reduce inflammation and protect us against inflammatory diseases. Vitamin C has also been shown to assist in reducing blood pressure.
Rich in Antioxidants
Kakadu Plums are a great source of antioxidants, containing 6-times more polyphenols and almost 14-times more overall antioxidant activity than blueberries.
Antioxidants are vital for our wellbeing as they help to fight the negative effects and oxidative stress caused by free radicals.
Ellagic acid is one of the polyphenols and strong antioxidants found in Kakadu Plum that has a range of health benefits, including anti-inflammatory, anti-tumour, anti-microbial as well as being considered a pre-biotic.
Benefits of Natural Vitamins
The ingredients used in our products, including Kakadu Plum, all are from natural sources, as opposed to synthetic vitamins.
Natural vitamins are more biologically active and longer lasting in the body, thanks to their ability to be reactivated by secondary substances in a process called redox recycling. This means that the naturally obtained Vitamin C in Kakadu Plum for example can be regenerated in the body from other citrus fruits when ingested. Synthetic vitamins on the other hand are often not absorbed as well in the body and used up and eliminated from our systems quicker.
- Antioxidants in health and disease
- Effects of vitamin C supplementation on blood pressure: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials
- The Roles of Vitamin C in Skin Health
- Kakadu plum fruit extracts inhibit growth of the bacterial triggers of rheumatoid arthritis: Identification of stilbene and tannin components
- Tannin components and inhibitory activity of Kakadu plum leaf extracts against microbial triggers of autoimmune inflammatory diseases
- Organic acids in Kakadu plum (Terminalia ferdinandiana): The good (ellagic), the bad (oxalic) and the uncertain (ascorbic)
- Ellagitannins, ellagic acid and their derived metabolites: A review about source, metabolism, functions and health
- Antioxidant and cytoprotective activities of native Australian fruit polyphenols
- Antioxidant capacity and hydrophilic phytochemicals in commercially grown native Australian fruits
- A Review on Free Radicals and Antioxidants
- Antioxidant Rich Extracts of Terminalia ferdinandiana Inhibit the Growth of Foodborne Bacteria
- Evaluation of the antibacterial activity and toxicity of Terminalia ferdinandia fruit extracts